Saturday, February 15, 2014

Meds, time are such a challenge for Alz folk

Great grandchildren have even more appeal.  Is it because we are so much older or just that we love babies?  We don't get to see much of them but so appreciate them when we can.  Hubby seems to respond beautifully to them and finds such joy.  Of course, I think he feels the same way about the granddog when she visits as she is here for a couple of days to enjoy this sunny weather in our back yard vs cooped up in the apartment where she lives.  Of course, granddog Holly would rather spend her time in one of our living room chairs.  Ah well....
Today is Valentine's Day and he has gifted me with a pedicure.  Perfect!  Wonderful and I am thrilled!  Nice treat thanks to my daughter who is so good about reminding her dad.  He has never been one to remember holidays and birthdays or give any thought to gifting.  But he did remember to give me the card this morning which is amazing.  Bless his heart!

Today my beloved has dressed himself in dirty khakis and two collared broadcloth shirts, one on top of the other but is willing to change.   I found more dirty clothes piled by the bed. Hmmm.
Later I found him in the bathroom after missing him for a long time.  Again he was trying to put together his medications in the daily container.  It is so frustrating for him but he insists on doing it.  I don't want to take away any independent activities but this one is so frustrating for him.  I offer to help but find that 3 need to be refilled after filling his day by day container.  I have composed a chart separating morning and evening meds but he has a lot of trouble with the concept that 2 of them are morning and evening.  He then said he wants a new shelf unit for the bathroom that will divide the bottles of meds into morning and evening...like this is going to solve his problem.  At last we moved on and out of the bathroom but both of us were feeling frustrated.

I went on to fix our lunch.  Soup and sandwich.  Just as I was putting his lunch on the table, he comes in saying "Would you come get me on my computer?"  "No," I said.  "Not until you eat your lunch."  He was angry and left for his office.  I ate my lunch and left for a meeting at the church.  The lunch was gone when I got back and I don't know whether he ate it or threw it away.  Getting him to eat is becoming such a challenge as he is so easily distracted.  

A few minutes ago he came out pulling a sweater over his head.  I asked if he was cold.  He said, "A little".  Later he asked "When do we leave?"  This was about 6:30.  It is these kind of conversations that make my head spin.  "Where are we going?" I ask as I had nothing on the calendar.  He thought we were going to the church.  With Alzheirmer's, conversations get all mixed up in their brains.  It must be so hard for Alz folk to keep it all straight.  He wants so much to be with it and on top of things and prepared and it gets all mixed up in his time frame.  Time for Alz folk is a total mystery and unreliable.  I must remember that and be patient.  Now to see if he will be ready tomorrow when we are due to go to a church dinner.  But now I must go see if he has clean clothes to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment