Sunday, November 27, 2016

Black Wednesday

No Black Friday for me but I did buy us a Christmas present on the Wednesday before.  When entertaining the last couple of weeks, I became aware that after 58 years of use the set of stainless steel flatware that was a wedding present is missing quite a few essentials...mostly spoons.  Now that the grandchildren are grown I don't have to worry that they are hauling them away to play in the dirt.  I figure 58 years is pretty good mileage and it wouldn't be extravagant to indulge in a whole new set of flatware at the pre-Black Friday big discount...Merry Christmas to us!  Now to make sure that He-Who doesn't throw a piece away.

Yesterday He-Who proudly announced he was headed for the dumpster again holding up 4 plastic wrappers with old newspapers in them.  "Great!" I said and off he went.  He returned 30 minutes later with the empty wrappers.  "So what did you do with the contents?" I asked.  "Oh, I put them in the dumpster."
"So why did you bring back the plastic wrappers?"  "Because I will need them."  Well, guess there's no point continuing this conversation as he added his handful of plastic to the pile in the corner of the living room.  It wouldn't do any good to explain that our newspapers arrive in a plastic wrapper every day giving us an endless supply.  I am concerned that he will be reprimanded for not having the newspaper bagged when thrown in the dumpster but will cross that bridge if it happens.  Harmless enough and he's a happy camper accomplishing his mission.
He's not reading the three papers we take as much anymore but spends lots of time rolling sections back up so they will go back into the wrappers they come in.  Seems like an expensive exercise so I may eliminate one of the papers but which one?  The NY Times or the Wall Street Journal?  I don't think he would miss one but who knows???

No comments:

Post a Comment